Words and images by Nacho (LAX-JFK).
In 1998′s Blaxploitation Parody, “I’m Gonna Git You Sucka!” Chris Rock (playing an Irritating Customer) asks Rib Joint owner, Hammer, “How much for a order o’ ribs?” Appalled by the price he follows up with, “How many ribs do I get with that?” He does the math and figures out the price per rib and exclaims, “Le’me get one!”
I stopped buying ribs from Restaurants a looooooong time ago for the same reason, PRICE! Plus they’re usually over produced, over seasoned and over cooked… I was over it! Fuck Lucille’s, I challenge them to a side by side tasting against mine! I had some Wood Ranch not too long ago, not kidding, I prefer mine. At only $3.99/LB (for some Baby Backs), you can get 3-racks of ribs for the same price as 1-entree at one of them joints! Save your money for your kicks, booze & gear, try this recipe!
Below recipe is good for 2-racks of Babybacks, more racks, more rub, do the math dummy.
1. Dry Rub Mix – Take 2-tablespoon Paprika (smoked, even better), 2-tablespoons Brown Sugar (dark, even better), 1-tablespoon Kosher Salt and 1-tablespoon Pepper (add 1-teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper if you like heat), combine in bowl.
2. Pat ribs dry, then take about 1-tablespoon of Olive Oil and give the ribs a nice rub down. Turn some music on, light a candle, really get in there and rub’em down. Once oiled, sprinkle the Rub Mix over the ribs (top-side only) and continue your pork massage. Place ribs in fridge for a couple hours, even overnight (I find that works best).
3. Remove ribs from fridge and bring to room temperature for even cooking (also takes a couple hours). Preheat oven to 300* and place ribs in a shallow roasting pan (do not stack). Cooking time is approximately 2 to 2.5 hours.
6. Slather the ribs with more BBQ Sauce and place them in the broiler for approximately 1-minute (or until just before your sauce begins to bubble), watch VERY CLOSELY so you don’t burn’em. Caramelization is your friend!
7. Allow ribs to rest for AT LEAST 10-minutes, cut & serve (or be greedy and murk’em up yourself).
This will get you the PERFECT BABYBACKS EVERY TIME, ask anyone on the Team! I don’t play when it comes to the swine! Don’t be an Irritating Rib Joint Customer, don’t find yourself saying, “Fuck the cup, po’ it in my hand fo’ a dime.”
Eat Good. Stay Fresh.