Words and Images by Nacho (LAX-JFK)
The economy’s got us all fucked up and Jumpman already did a number on our pockets in 2012! As a result, we have to be creative when acquiring the finer things. Steak. I think Steak is on the top of the luxury items list, but it’s a birth right. Concords or Steak, MJIII’s or Steak, MJIV’s or Steak, Foamposites or… On and on and on… It never ends!
Why should we give Steak up? Blood, fire, smoke, sharp-objects, there’s something very primitive about it. Personally, I have to fight off the urge to bite a good piece of meat in the raw (no pun intended, well maybe)! My psychiatrist is concerned… Just because the pockets are lean doesn’t mean you need to give The Steak up. Solution, cook it your damn self! I always feel I have to kick the disclaimer that I am in no way the authority on the matter, but I make a KILLER FUCKING STEAK. No frills (as a steak should be), keep it simple. You shouldn’t have to give up your Birth Right because you’re broke.
First off, don’t skimp on your meat. Always go for prime (when available), the others are probably $10 cheaper (per LB), but you’ll taste the difference, trust me. Now I’ll tell you How To (in case you didn’t know already).
1. Get 1 1/2” thick-cut Steak (Ribeye or NY, you can go Porterhouse once you’ve practiced)
2. Allow steak to come to room temperature for even cooking (takes at least 1-hour)
3. Place a cast-iron skillet in the oven and pre-heat to 500*
6. Place steak in the skillet for 30 seconds, flip steak and cook other side for 30seconds, DON’T MOVE IT, DON’T WIGGLE IT, DON’T PRESS DOWN ON IT, LEAVE IT ALONE ON THE HEAT!
7. Return skillet into oven for 2minutes, flip steak and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
This will get you a perfectly Medium Rare steak and don’t you dare ask me how to make it Medium or Well Done, that’s sacrilege! Once mastered I’ll teach you how to do pan-sauces, etc.
Man Law: All men should know how to cook a steak.
Eat Good. Stay Fresh.